Friday, October 5, 2007

Top Ten things Camon learned in his first month of Kindergarten




1. How to get out of the car and find his way to his classroom (in the very back of the school) all by himself.

2. How to write his whole name. He could write his first name before, but now puts the whole thing on most assignments.


3. How to count without skipping the number 15. He has always skipped it for some reason.





4. How to color within the lines (for the most part) and more importantly without fussing about not liking to color. As a matter of fact, he says he loves it now.

5. How to read the words : I, a, am, the, big, little, red, yellow, blue, green, orange, like, dog, cat, and sad.

6. How to pull his own tooth. Yes, we lost number 2 last night and he pulled it himself. Clint tied a string around it and Camon had it pulled before he even knew it. This morning he was telling Isabelle about the tooth fairy and he said," We don't see him or her, or whatever it is. But, God and Jesus and Angels and Grandma and Mawmaw Phillips see her." Boy does that make a mom feel bad about make believe things.


7. How to raise his hand to ask a question, even when he is at home. It is sort of nice for him to raise his hand and wait patiently until I give him permission to talk. It is some what annoying, too.

Now to the things that REALLY make a Mother Proud...

8. How to wait to do number 2 until he gets home from school. He holds it all day and the minute that he gets home he goes in the restroom and is in there for at least 30 minutes. (He will kill me for this one some day.)

9. How to tell a good lie. (Actually he was doing this before, but now there are specific things that he tries to get away with) Like, "I did not get any sticks today." Or, "I do not have homework tonight." Every time he has eventually fessed up, but he still tries to get away with it. I guess it will take him a while to realize that he gets a weekly progress report that tells me about his sticks and he has a homework folder that I check every afternoon.

10. How to ensure that no one will pick on him for the rest of his life. Okay, so I have kept this one in for almost two weeks now. But, I decided that I had to stop giving you a biased view of my children. I must fess up and tell all, good and bad. So, here goes. Last Tuesday, September 25, Camon almost found himself suspended. Yes, in kindergarten. He was fighting another little boy from another class. By the time that the teacher got to them, Camon had him up against the slide and was choking him. You can see why I have not shared this yet. Anyway, he did not get suspended because the teacher said that he had never exhibited that behavior before and so she let us deal with it. You kind of expect this to happen sometime in a boys life, but in kindergarten????? Hopefully he did it early and learned his lesson early. I just hope no one ever messes with his sister, because I have a feeling he won't let that slide.

So, Kindergarten has been quite an experience so far. He is still loving it and looking forward to going each day. Hopefully we will continue to have the good experiences and soon forget about the bad ones.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I'm so glad that someone else's kids skip 15...Both of mine do this, too. I have corrected them MANY times. I finally gave up! I'm glad he can defend himself...did he at least have a good reason?