Monday, August 20, 2007

What can she get into today?????

As most of you know, I have two children (two children with very different personalities). One of which is very mischievous. I bet you can not tell which one that is from these pictures....
These were taken on Saturday morning. I was doing laundry and realized that she was awfully quiet... and, that is never good. So, I went to the bathroom and began taking a series of pictures: her pouring water into her tea set from my bathtub, her trying on my shoes, her digging in my vanity for make-up and jewelry, and then as you can see her dipping a water bottle in the toilet (which was full of toilet paper, might I add). For the record, I took a quick picture and then immediately scrubbed her down and lectured her about how nasty toilets are (I wanted to be sure that no one thought I encourage this behavior). On the other hand, her older brother was quietly sitting in the recliner watching his Saturday morning cartoons. As I watched this play out, I thought back to some of the other things that Isabelle has gotten into over her short three years of life...

From the time she could crawl, I had to shut all doors and watch her every move. One day when she had first learned to walk, I needed to do dishes. Which seems like no problem, unless you have an Isabelle in the house who climbs into the dishwasher 400 times while you are trying to load it. Well, the kids were preoccupied with toys in my bedroom floor and all doors were shut to the bathrooms, so I decided to take that opportunity to load the dishwasher. I seemed to forget that Camon was big enough to open doors and of course had to potty. When he went in my bathroom, so did she. About 3 minutes into loading, I heard her coming down the hall. I turned around, to see that her pajamas were covered in pink drool, and she was steadily chewing and leaking this pink stuff out of her mouth. I panicked and ran to the bathroom to find a drawer open and an entire pack of Rolaids (paper, foil and all) chewed up. I called poison control - for the first time. The second time that I called, she had taken a bite of an Electrasol tablet from under the kitchen sink. And the third time (luckily she was at my in-laws and the call cam from that number this time) she had climbed up on my mother-in-laws toilet and gotten her fiber pills from the medicine cabinet. As you can see, she survived all three incidents, but I am so afraid that I am going to be turned in one of these days for neglect.

Then, one day I was taking a bath and had to lock her in the bathroom with me so that I could keep a constant eye on her - well except for that 2 minutes that I put my head under the faucet to rinse my hair. When I looked up, she had gotten into my feminine products and had a maxi pad stuck to her shirt and a tampon string hanging out of her mouth. I wish I would have had a camera to embarrass her in the future, but I think this blog will do the trick.

Then, there was this time that we were out eating with my sister and her family. Isabelle was sitting by Clint and then Me and Camon. Camon had to go to the bathroom and so I asked Clint "Do you want to take him, or watch her?" Of course who in their right mind would choose the trip to the bathroom, but this time he chose the worse of the two. Camon and I were in the stall and all of a sudden, I see these 2 little hands and a head pop under the door. Yes, they belonged to my 2 year old daughter. The very one that I left for her daddy to "watch". We finished up and returned to the table. Where he and my sister tried to play it cool, like they knew where she was all along. However, when the truth came out, Isabelle had left the table, walked through the restaurant, and opened a heavy door into the bathroom without any of the 3 adults seeing her leave. Then, they panicked and one of them ran to the front to be sure that she wasn't in the parking lot and Clint ran through the restaurant and to the kitchen to be sure that she was not in there. Finally my sister poked her head in the restroom and saw her in there and so they sat down and acted like they knew right where she was all along.

Then this past Saturday afternoon, she went outside to play. Clint was out there and so I assumed that he knew she came out. A little while later, I heard the door open and Camon went out as well. When I looked outside a few minutes later to check on them, I did not see them anywhere. I asked Clint where they were, and guess what - he did not know. I called my in-laws next door, because they are famous for seeing them outside and going over there without asking. But, of course they had not seen them. So, I started to panic. For those of you who do not know, we live on a good bit of land and our house sits pretty far off of the road. However, that road has a speed limit of 60 mph. As I began to look all over, I see this red shirt AT THE END OF THE DRIVEWAY!!! Sure enough, it was my two angels. They are smart enough to know not to go in the road, but they were too close for Mom. They turned to come to the house and I went out to meet them. After a little bit of "explaining" about the dangers of the road. I asked what they were doing. Camon said that he came outside and saw her going to the road and went to get her. When I asked her why she went that far, she said that she was chasing a butterfly.

So, now that you think I am a terrible mother. I will stop with the stories. I actually do watch my children closely, but when you have an Isabelle in your house sometimes you just do not have enough eyes and never enough locks. There is never a dull moment with her around.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Staci...what did you have to do about the electrosol tablet? I'm scared to death of that one occurring b/c I hear that it is bad!!!!

We've eaten battery acid, but luckily just a small enough amount to cause much screaming, but no esophagus damage!