Monday, December 10, 2007

The real meaning of Christmas...

Those of you who keep up with my blog may know that I lost three very important people this past year: my Grandma in January, Clint’s MamMaw in October, and my Uncle in October. I was having a hard time getting into the Christmas “mood”. Oh, I decorated, shopped, looked at lights, sang Christmas songs, and let on that I was excited for my kids, but I was taking my losses hard. Yes, I still have MANY great family and friends around to celebrate with, but I was still so sad about the year I had been through.

Then, something happened. A little boy at Isabelle’s school lost his mother and everything that they owned in a house fire. Now, I am not saying that I am glad this happened by ANY means, but this event brought me to reality. I have realized two major things over the past week. First, little Ollie has lost so much more than I can ever imagine. I have no right to feel sorry for my loss. And, second I have some great friends.

I sent an e-mail to some of my closest local friends asking if they could help this little boy out. I was expecting some hand-me-downs (after all that is what I was thinking about doing). But, the response has been so overwhelming. An entire softball team went and bought this little boy tons of toys. People who I know for a fact make less than half of what I do went and bought him something or gave me money for him. Remember, NONE of these people knew him. I have taken 4 loads of new clothes, toys, and money to the daycare for this little boy. None of this by my doing, mind you. People who I do not even know have contacted me wanting to give something. My heart has been opened to see that although this world is full of evil, there are still so many people who are so caring. These people gave without knowing this little boy, or the details of his situation. This is the meaning of Christmas. They have shown Christ’s love to this family, and isn’t that the “reason for the season”? We should love God’s children just as Christ loves them.

I have not been there to see this little boy’s face when he gets these generous gifts, but I can imagine that he is so excited each time that he gets something. I only wish that it could half way replace all that he has lost, but I know that nothing can take the place of a Momma.

This Christmas I have been blessed beyond measure to realize that I have great family and friends who are willing to give generously to those in need. If I do not get anything at all this Christmas, I know that this will be one of the best Christmases that I have ever had. And what seemed like it would be a sad Christmas has turned out to be my favorite so far.

Sometimes God uses a tragedy to bless a heart and He has done that for me. This Christmas, I want to be more thankful for what I have been blessed with and less concerned with me!

May you all have a Merry Christmas and a very blessed New Year! Please remember this little boy, Ollie, in your prayers.

No comments: