Monday, July 30, 2007

Isabelle's solutions to her life's problems.

Isabelle has a solution for EVERYTHING. She is the negotiator of the family. And, she usually is pretty convincing. There is no doubt when she is around that she is in charge (or is trying really hard to be). Here are a few funny things that have developed in that precious little head of hers lately:

If you know Isabelle, you know that there are 2 things that she MUST wear - dresses and flip-flops. I have lost count of how many she has. Almost daily, she comes in from daycare and wants to change. And, usually does so before I realize what she is doing. One day, she changed into some of her "glittery" flip-flops and was determined that her brother was going to wear a matching pair. She kept chasing him and all but forcing him to put these "girly" shoes on. Until, I spoke up and said "Camon, you can put them on and then they will be yours and she will not have anymore pink flip-flops." She stopped in her tracks and said "Never mind, you do not need to wear these."

Then one morning we were "discussing" what she was going to wear to school. You see, she is very strong willed and she always knows the minute that she gets up which pair of flip-flops she wants that day. I have learned to let her choose the shoes the night before and then I choose the dress to match the shoes (yes, she is only 3 - what will it be like at 13???) There have been many days when we were butting heads over shoes and I changed her dress (wrinkles and all) so that she would match (I told you she was in charge). Anyway, this particular day she had on a precious dress that her Aunt Nancy had given her for her birthday. It was mostly white, with blue, yellow, and pink stripes. She walked into my bathroom with purple flip-flops on her feet. I tried to reason with her and explain that there was no purple in her dress. To which she immediately replied " But, Momma, pink and blue would make purple." What could I say to that? She wore the purple flip-flops.

Camon and Isabelle have a DVD player in my car and they take turns choosing the movie that we will watch next. Of course, Camon chooses "boy" movies and Isabelle chooses "girl" movies. Isabelle does not mind watching the boy movies, she actually knows more about Star Wars and Dinosaurs than I do. However, Camon can not stand to watch the girly movies (but, once they are on he is glued to them and knows every line in them). The other day Isabelle chose "Cinderella" and of course Camon began moaning. "Not that, I hate that movie, we watch it all the time, I don't want to see it again." And of course, with a quick come back, Isabelle said "Then shut your eyes."

Last night while eating after church, Isabelle went to the bathroom during supper, which by the way is no surprise...there is no bathroom in any restaurant in town that we have not been in, I think that there is something about the smells in restaurants that make her instantly have to go, usually twice during every meal - and EVERY time we eat(even at home). (She is going to love reading this one day!!!!) Anyway when we were finished, I told her to wash her hands. For some odd reason she had decided that she was not interested in washing them this time. So, she said "I do not need to wash them, see". And showed me her hands as if I could see the germs on them. I told here that she HAD NO choice in the matter because her hands were dirty. SO, she looked at me and said "But, I won't suck my thumb this night." I said well, you will eat your food with your hands. Then she said "No, I use a fork." Good point, but I did not give in this time, she washed her hands.

She is a fireball and so much fun. I just fear daily for those teenage years. The things I am sure I will have to write about then...

No comments: