Monday, July 2, 2007

The Crazy things they say!

The mind of a child is such a unique thing. I am constantly amazed at the amount of knowledge Camon and Isabelle gain each day. Their little minds seem to store much more information than mine can. While Camon does not like to prove it, at age 5 (before kindergarten) he can spell both his first and last name (however can not spell the middle, RAY, I guess it is too simple), count to 20 (leaving out 16 EVERY TIME), recall every scene to every movie that he has ever seen (especially Star Wars), knows the months of the year, the sounds of the alphabet, the days of the week, what colors mix to make other colors, and everything you would ever want to know about dinosaurs. Isabelle can say the alphabet, count to 15, sing a million songs (which I might add she does so constantly – she thinks that there should never be silence when she is around), know all of her colors (and matches them quite well for a 3 year old), knows the months of the year, and can paint her fingernails and toenails (and remove the polish) better than I can. However, there are still a few things that trouble them. And, to be honest much of it makes more sense the way that they view it.

Some examples from this weekend are:

We were without electricity a few days ago and Camon was so upset, because I wouldn’t simply change the batteries in the light switch so that it would work again.

He also has a little trouble with what I call a “stay home day”. To me that simply means that I do not have to go to work and he does not have to go to school. However to him, it means that we will physically be at our house or at least within spitting distance of our house ALL day. I have to be very careful about calling any day this, because he gets very upset when I tell him we are going somewhere (even if it is somewhere fun). This weekend, for example, when I told him that we would go to Aunt Mandi’s house to swim in the afternoon, he said “ So, this is really just a little stay home day?” Isabelle on the other hand is so much like me… GO! GO! GO! And who cares where.

Both of them have a problem with the concept of time. If something happened in the past, it happened YESTERDAY. Actually, they both called it “lasterday” when they started talking. I thought that was pretty fitting. (And sad when they stopped it) It does not matter how long ago it happened, to them it was yesterday. Also, Camon was so funny this weekend, he had gotten in some ants Friday night at Clint’s ballgame and wanted some medicine on them Saturday Morning. I put some on him and covered his feet with socks. A few minutes later, he slipped and wanted some shoes. So, since this was a “little stay home day” I figured that slippers were fitting. So, I told him to go get his slippers (which he has only had about 7 months). He said, “But mom, what if they do not fit? I have not worn them in YEARS.”

This weekend, Isabelle was asking about someone at our church and she asked “Who’s her name?” I tried explaining that she should say “What’s her name?” and I think that turned into a 45 minute discussion of WHY?

And the last thing that both my children say, that makes perfect sense to me and to my children is “No I willn’t” Of course the correct word is won’t, but doesn’t it make more sense to use willn’t for will not? My children are geniuses.

Yes, all of this was said or done in one weekend. We truly have event-filled days with those 2 around. I can never imagine my life again without them.

No comments: