Wednesday, September 24, 2008

First Grade !!!



I know, I know, I have been a terrible blogger lately. Camon has now been in school almost 5 weeks and I have not even posted pictures of his first day! Yes, I did take some. But, for the record it was a much easier first day - there were no tears from momma. Although I think I could have if I had hung around much longer. He was not really looking forward to going back, but that afternoon when I asked him if he liked it, he said, "No. I LOVED it!" That lasted a few days and then he started wanting Summer again. He said again this morning, "Momma, I wish this was the first day of Summer." He has a while to wait for that. But, he has not complained about going or given us any trouble. And he is doing tremendous. He told me that first day, "The best thing is that there is no nap (I will remind him of this when he is a teenager) and the worst thing is there is no snack time." The first week, we got home one afternoon and he asked for a snack. I told him just a minute and I would get him one. He said he would get it himself. I asked if he was sure he could get it, to which he replied, "Mom, I am in first grade now - what do you expect?" Then one of the funniest things that week was that he brought home math vocabulary the bad thing about it is that it was just the words with no definitions, but remember I have a degree in Math and taught it for 7 years. And, besides he is only in the FIRST GRADE, right. Well, sure enough there was a word that I was not sure of the definition - "pattern unit" - so as we were reviewing his homework I came to that and paused. I finally had to admit to him that I was not sure what that was. TO which he replied, "That is easy. It is the part in a pattern that repeats." Duh! I thought. Then he said,"I have already learned too much in the first grade." It was so cute. He has actually made a huge turn around with homework. Last year, it was torture. He would go on for 40 minutes about an assignment that might take him 5. But, this year he never complains. He sits down, does the assignment almost without any assistance, and finishes very quick. He is also doing great in school. He has only gotten off of "green" one time and that was for working ahead of the teacher on an assignment. I can not complain too much about that - he is just brighter than the other kids and does not need to wait for them - HA! Anyway, he is having a great year. And, we stared AWANA at our church this year and he is so excited about studying and learning scripture (he said as long as he does not have to get in front of the church to say it). He asks almost everyday if he can practice for AWANA. He is just doing great. I am so proud of him!!

No comments: